Unlike family, you get to pick your friends. So friendship is a privilege, not an inheritance. That makes having friends special. If you’re lucky enough to have life long friends, you are rich no matter what your bank account says. If you’re rich and have no friends, you’re still broke.
But what defines friendship? And what is so special about some people, out of all the people we know and come into contact with on a daily basis? Here are 10 things I hope you will agree, define that special relationship we have with a select few persons in our lives.
- They know what makes you so special and have probably even helped to make you that way
- When something good, or bad happens in your life, they are the first ones you want to share it with
- If you do something inappropriate, they will tell you about it, instead of everyone else but you
- They know how to make you laugh when you feel like crying and make you cry because they can touch you so deeply
- A friend always wants to know what’s going on with you, to celebrate, or to commiserate
- They always surprise you by doing something special for you at just the right time – when you needed it most
- Friends always want to include you in their social circle of other good friends
- Friends keep your secrets, even when you forget to tell them it’s personal
- They make our lives richer for just knowing they are there living life with us
- Only a friend can make you pee your pants from laughing so hard
This is only a short list of the top 10 things I could think of. You may have more you want to add. Pass this along to those who mean the most to you. And if you’re really blessed, you have family members who are among your best friends. Let them know how you feel about them. And life will become even richer for all of you.